How to Register
- If you were registered at CMSS for the 2017-18 school year, please use this Re-Registration Form. For all others, here is the New Student Registration Form. Please note that if emailing your registration form, typing your name at the bottom and sending the registration form from your email address qualifies the typed signature as a digital signature and obligates the student and/or parent/guardian to abide by CMSS Policies and Procedures.
- Speak with our Director of Enrollment and Family Engagement, Brooke Hopkins, to determine placement of the student.
Phone: 413-732-8428, ext. 104
- Arrange payment plan with Director of Enrollment.
We make every effort to ensure an excellent placement between students and our professional faculty. Placements and lesson times are determined by a combination of factors including:
- The student’s interest in a particular instrument or genre
- The student’s age, personality and learning style
- A faculty member’s availability and the student’s ability to attend lessons during a particular day and time
For private lessons, there are 36 lessons in a full school year. Students may enroll at any time during the year, and lessons will be pro-rated based on how many lessons are remaining in the school year.
For group classes and ensembles, there are 34 classes in a full school year. Not all classes all available for late registration. Please speak with Brooke Hopkins, Director of Enrollment, about pro-rating class tuition.
Registration fee for new students:
Family: $10 for each additional child
Registration fee for returning students:
Family: $10 for each additional child
Private lesson prices:
Length of Lesson Price per Lesson Semi-Annual Payment Full Year Tuition
30 minutes $36 $648 $1,296
45 minutes $47 $846 $1,692
60 minutes $62 $1,116 $2,232
If you would like us to automatically charge your monthly tuition payment, please submit this Credit Card Authorization Form with your registration form.
CMSS offers financial aid to students in grades K-12 who are 18 years of age and under. Financial aid is considered a need-based award and is awarded based on financial need, seriousness of purpose and motivation, & consistent attendance and progress.
To apply for Financial Aid, please fill out this Financial Aid Application Form.
Applicants must also submit to CMSS:
These confidential reference statements must be completed by a teacher, coach, instructor, community leader, religious leader or faculty member. They will not be accepted if they are filled out by a family member. All applicants must submit two (2) Confidential Reference Statements. All applicants currently studying at CMSS must have one reference from their CMSS individual instruction teacher. It is preferable that the second reference also be from a music teacher. However, a reference from an elementary, secondary, or post-secondary school teacher is acceptable. It is preferable that the reference forms be sent directly to CMSS rather than returned to the scholarship applicant for delivery. Reference statements can be filled out online at this link.
You can also download a PDF version of the Financial Aid and Reference Statement forms here:
Financial Aid and References Form (Download PDF).
CONFIDENTIAL FINANCIAL INFORMATION
All applicants are required to submit copies of their Federal income tax returns (FORM 1040) and W2s (state returns are not necessary). You may include other supporting financial data (such as private school tuition etc.) with your tax returns.
If parents are married but filing separately, copies of financial information for both parents must be submitted. Your application is not considered complete until copies of your federal tax returns and W2s are submitted. This means that those applicants who do not submit tax forms by the application deadline will not be considered. CMSS cannot be responsible for returning forms and supporting documentation. Therefore, applicants should send only copies of all tax and supporting material. Please also include record of non-taxable income such as veteran, social security, welfare benefits, AFDC or ADC, if applicable, as well as documentation of other pertinent information you wish to have considered.
Mail or in-person: Brooke Hopkins, Director of Enrollment and Family Engagement, Community Music School of Springfield, 127 State Street, Springfield, MA 01073
More about Financial Aid at CMSS:
Financial aid awards are given as a specific dollar amount and are valid for the full academic year. Federal tax records from the most recent filing period are required as documentation. Financial aid recipients may receive funding for one lesson, class, or ensemble. Notification of awards will be in writing and mailed to your home; awards are stated as specific dollar amounts. Awards are valid for the full academic year. Families with more than one child may receive financial aid funding for up to two children.
If you are applying for financial aid for two children, you must fill out two separate financial aid packets, one for each child, but only one copy of Confidential Financial Information materials is needed. Additional applications can be picked up at the CMSS front desk.
How do I register for lessons upon acceptance?
Students who would like to reserve a preferred time slot with their instructor may make a payment at the original lesson price consisting of a registration fee and a 4 lesson deposit. The deposit is usually made in the summer months to lock in a time slot. The deposit will be subtracted from the total tuition if and when the student is allocated funds by CMSS. The remainder of the tuition will be divided into 9 monthly bills dated from September 2018 to May 2019.
If you would rather wait until you receive the financial aid before you register you may do so. When you receive the acceptance letter you will also find a Financial Aid Acceptance Form included in the mailing. You must sign and return the Financial Aid Acceptance Form to the Registrar and schedule your lesson, class or ensemble with her at that time. You will need to bring a form of payment to make your lesson, class or ensemble deposit at time of registration.
Important Information for all Applicants
1) Students who do not complete the application forms will not be eligible for consideration. Funds are limited and applying for financial aid does not guarantee that it will be received.
2) Because funding is limited, priority for financial aid is given to current CMSS students. Financial aid for new students, if available, will be granted based on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning with students who are currently on the 2018/19 financial aid wait list.
3) Those students who have made less than satisfactory progress according to teacher evaluation, not registered on time, not submitted their scholarship application on time, and/or not paid any owed balance by prescribed deadlines may be placed on probation or denied financial aid funding outright. Funding for subsequent semesters during the year will be contingent upon the student’s ability to meet CMSS standards of good attendance, progress and practice, adherence to CMSS policies and procedures, and availability of funds.
If financial aid is granted, upon acceptance the applicant must schedule a meeting with the Director of Enrollment and Family Engagement. You can schedule a registration appointment by emailing her at email@example.com or by calling 413-732-8428, ext. 104. You must return the Financial Aid Acceptance Form with your signature and make a lesson, class or ensemble deposit in order to officially register and accept the financial aid.